Page images

The sad and early death of Mr. Loftus Brock has deprived this and many other societies of a loyal and able colleague. To us his loss is irreparable, as for a long series of years we have had the benefit of his learned addresses on many of the churches and houses visited during the Annual Meetings.

Sir Joseph Prestwich, Bart., the eminent Geologist, had only recently joined the Society, but we nevertheless deeply regret that so distinguished a man should have been taken from us.

The Finances of the Society are in a satisfactory state, the Balance at the Bankers being at the present moment £763 0s. 3d.

The Council is confident that all will be glad to hear that the Richborough Trustees have fenced in the Roman castrum of Rutupiæ, near Sandwich, thus protecting it from further human destruction.

The fine Cromlech on Coldrum Lodge Farm, which the Society visited in 1891, is at last likely to be protected, as the property has been purchased by the Hon. Ralph Nevill of Birling Manor, who has kindly requested your Honorary Secretary to meet him at Coldrum in the autumn to discuss the question of preserving this archaic Kentish monument.

The Rev. J. Cave-Browne moved the adoption of the Report; this was seconded by the Rev. V. S. Vickers, and carried unanimously.

It was moved and carried :- "That the retiring members of Council and the Auditors be re-elected."

Eight candidates were then duly elected members of the Society.

The business being concluded,progress was made to the Parish Church, where the Vicar, the Rev. W. Bell, M.A., welcomed the Society. Dr. Francis Grayling described the fabric.

At 12:45 P.M. the company returned to the Town Hall for luncheon. After luncheon all proceeded in carriages to Tunstall Church, where they were cordially received by the Rector, the Rev. H. E. T. Cruso.

In consequence of the sudden illness of George Webb, Esq., Tunstall House was not visited, as was intended; a few were, however, conducted through a portion of it by G. E. Elliott, Esq.

Bredgar Church was next visited, and afterwards Stockbury Church, the respective Vicars, the Rev. R. Douglas, M.A., and the Rev. T. Cobb, M.A., receiving the party. Canon W. A. Scott Robertson, M.A., kindly described the above three Churches.

The ancient Earthwork by Stockbury Church was then inspected under the guidance of the Honorary Secretary.

The return journey was made via Newington and Key Street. At 5:30 P.M. the Annual Dinner took place at the Bull Hotel, Sittingbourne, the noble President in the Chair, supported by the Rev. Canon Scott Robertson, the Rev. A. J. Pearman, Lieut.-Col. Hartley, Mr. W. H. Burch-Rosher and Mrs. Burch-Rosher, the Honorary Secretary and Mrs. George Payne, and about fifty others.

The customary loyal and other toasts were proposed and responded to by the Earl Stanhope, Canon Scott Robertson, Mr. Burch-Rosher, Captain Honeyball, and the Honorary Secretary.

The Evening Meeting commenced in the Town Hall at 7 P.M., the Earl Stanhope presiding. George Payne, Esq., F.S.A., delivered a lecture on the Antiquities of the Sittingbourne District,

illustrated by a fine series of lantern slides of the principal Celtic, Roman, and Anglo-Saxon objects which he had collected from the neighbourhood during a period of twenty years. Mr. Payne also exhibited a large collection of photographs of interesting old houses around Sittingbourne. The Meeting terminated with a hearty vote of thanks to the Lecturer.

On Wednesday, July 29th, a visit was made to the Isle of Sheppey, when a numerous company arrived by train at Queenborough, and proceeded at once to the Guildhall, where the Mayor (A. W. Howe, Esq.) kindly welcomed the Society to the Island. Tho Rev. C. E. Woodruff, M.A., then read a few notes on the History of the ancient Borough, and also referred to the fine Municipal Insignia and Archives which had been laid upon the table for inspection. Before leaving several members availed themselves of the kindly invitation of the Mayor to partake of light refreshment which he had hospitably provided.

Shortly after the Church was visited, the Vicar, the Rev. E. W. Bartlett, M.A., receiving the party, while the Rev. C. E. Woodruff acted as guide.

At 1 P.M. all sat down to luncheon in the Minster Board Schools, which the Committee had generously lent for the occasion.

After luncheon the Vicar, the Rev. W. Bramston, M.A., welcomed the Society to his beautiful Church, upon which the Rev. J. Cave-Browne read an exhaustive paper. Subsequently an inspection was made of the exterior of the Church, also the remains of the Gate-house of the Nuunery of St. Sexburga adjoining.

Progress was next made to Eastchurch Church, which was described by the Rector, the Rev. R. Dickson, M.A. Afterwards the Rector and Mrs. Dickson hospitably entertained the company with afternoon tea in the Rectory garden. On leaving cordial thanks were given to Mr. and Mrs. Dickson for their kindness.

Shurland Castle was next visited under the guidance of the Rev. J. Cave-Browne. Mr. Horsepool, steward to Capt. Holford, the owner of Shurland, was also present, and rendered valuable assistance.

The party then proceeded to Warden Point, and greatly enjoyed the sea-view and wide stretch of landscape to be seen from the cliffs at this altitude. The Honorary Secretary took his stand upon the verge of the cliff, and gave a brief address descriptive of the great landslips which periodically occur along the northern and eastern sides of Sheppey. Mr. Payne also pointed out the spot where Warden Church formerly stood, and which, together with the graveyard, had totally disappeared since the Society last visited the Island. It was explained that after the Church became a ruin, in consequence of the cracking of the land on which it stood, the entire site slipped down towards the shore, and was gradually being carried away by the sea.

At the conclusion of the address Mr. Burch-Rosher called for a vote of thanks to the Honorary Secretary for his admirable arrange

ments during the Meeting, and to the Rev. W. Gardner-Waterman, M.A., for his valuable services in directing the carriages.

The vote was heartily responded to by all present, and acknowledged by Mr. Payne.

The return journey was made along the southern road to Queenborough, thus affording an opportunity of both sides of this outlying but interesting Island being seen. Queenborough Station was reached at 640 P.M., where a special train was in readiness to convey the party to Sittingbourne in time for the main-line trains. Thus ended a day of intense enjoyment, which closed the Annual Meeting of 1896 most successfully.

The Council met on the 29th of September, 1896, in the Bridge Chambers at Rochester, by permission of the Bridge Wardens. There were six members present, presided over by the Dean of Rochester.

After some discussion it was decided that the next Annual Meeting be held at Sevenoaks.

Votes of thanks in connection with the Sittingbourne Meeting were passed:

To the Sittingbourne Urban District Council for the use of the Town Hall, free of charge, to the Reverends W. Bell, H. E. T. Cruso, R. Douglas, T. Cobb, E. W. Bartlett, and W. Bramston for kindly co-operation.

To the Rev. R. and Mrs. Dickson for their kindness and hospitality.

To Canon Scott Robertson, the Rev. J. Cave-Browne, the Rev. C. E. Woodruff, Dr. Francis Grayling, and the Honorary Secretary, for papers and addresses.

To A. W. Howe, Esq., Mayor of Queenborough, for kindly help and hospitality,

To the Minster School Board for the use of the Schools for luncheon purposes.

To Mr. Horsepool for assistance at Shurland.

To the Rev. Gardner-Waterman for kindly superintending the carriage arrangements on both days of the Meeting, and to Henry Payne, Esq., for kindly issuing the tickets.

A letter was read from F. C. J. Spurrell, Esq., F.G.S., wherein he expressed regret at having to withdraw from the Council in consequence of his having left the county.

The Secretary was requested to convey to Mr. Spurrell the thanks of the Council for the valuable services he had for many years rendered the Society in various ways.

The Rev. G. M. Livett, B.A., Vicar of Wateringbury, was unanimously elected a member of Coril vice Mr. Spurrell resigned.





FORT " BORSTAL," ROCHESTER.-On December 3rd, 1895, Colonel Sir John C. Ardagh, K.C.I.E., C.B., Commandant of the S.M.E., Chatham, kindly informed me of the discovery of three Roman interments during the progress of the works connected with the Fort at Borstal. A gang of convicts were engaged in digging postholes for a fence between the south wall of Borstal Prison and the Fort railway, when they cut through three cists which had been excavated in the chalk to a depth of 4 feet 8 inches, 3 feet, and 2 feet 10 inches respectively. These were cleared out, before my arrival, of everything but what remained of the skeletons. No. 1 grave was 7 fect 3 inches long by 3 feet 2 inches wide, the skeleton lay east and west, head to the west. By the skull was a small brown vase and a black patera. No. 2 grave, 8 feet from No. 1, was 7 feet long by 3 feet 2 inches wide; the skeleton lay southwest by north-east, head to the latter, without relics. No. 3 grave, 7 feet 4 inches long by 3 feet 2 inches wide; the skeleton lay as before, but with the head to the south-west. In this case the bones were not disturbed. The skeleton was lying extended, the bones of the hands being found upon the pelvis. The skull was discovered some years ago when laying down a water-main which passes by the head of the cist. At the left shoulder a small brown vase with narrow neck was met with. By the feet were two iron nails which had evidently been used for fastening boards together in which the body had been encased at the time of burial. Probably all three bodies were enveloped in rude coffins, as much decayed wood could be seen around the edge of No. 2. These three interments, doubtless, belong to a cemetery which yet remains to be explored.

FORTDARLAND," CHATHAM HILL.-When making the glacis outside this Fort five deneholes or draw-wells were discovered, two being on the north side of the road leading from Star Mill to Darland

, and the others on the opposite side. That which the writer

descended was bell-shaped, 40 feet in depth and 42 feet in diameter. Two chambers had been cut to a depth of 15 feet on the north and east sides of the pit. Nothing was at the bottom but tons of flints, which had been cast aside during the removal of the chalk. November, 1895.

IGHTHAM (TOWN HOUSE).-Mr. J. Hill, the owner of this interesting house, discovered in his nut plantation, about mid-way between the house and the church, a chamber 3 feet 9 inches deep, 7 feet 4 inches in width from east to west, and 8 feet 10 inches from north to south. The walls were 2 feet 7 inches thick, faced inside with thin roof-tiles, laid in courses, of, perhaps, sixteenth century date, while the exterior was composed of ironstone obtained from the immediate locality. Upon the floor were five low walls of tiles, 1 foot wide, 1 foot 6 inches high, and 6 inches apart. In each wall were two small arches to enable heat to penetrate the area of the chamber, after the manner of a hypocaust; these draught holes were in line with two stoke-hole arches in the form of the letter V inverted (A). These openings were in the south wall, 2 feet 2 inches apart, 2 feet 6 inches high, and 2 feet 2 inches wide at the floor-line. The western wall of the chamber extended beyond it, forming the eastern wall of a second and similar hypocaust, which measured 4 feet 5 inches from north to south, and 7 feet 10 inches from east to west. There were four low walls upon the floor 7 inches apart, 11 inches thick, and 18 inches high, placed in the opposite direction to those in the first chamber, the stoke-hole being in the west wall. This arch differed from the others described, as it was round-headed, and very roughly built with 6-inch square tiles. The interior of both chambers had been subjected to great heat, especially the lower walls. During the excavations a few pieces of pottery of sixteenth or seventeenth century date were found. These curious chambers were probably kilns for burning bricks or tiles. If so, something like the following method was adopted. Firstly, the channels between the low walls were filled with wood or charcoal, then across the walls came a layer of bricks with sufficient space left between them for draught and admission of hot air. The successive layers were then stacked in cross-courses, so that all the openings acted as flues. When the kiln was filled the top was covered in and fires lighted in the stoke or fire-holes. After the moisture in the tiles had evaporated the heat was raised and the fire-holes blocked up. On the completion of the firing process the kiln was allowed to cool. This is a rough description of the method

« PreviousContinue »