Page images

side. He knew what were the demands of the Home Missionary work, and what the sacrifices of the Home Missionary. He could aid the churches of the wilder ness, and encourage those who had gone or gone or might be induced to go to the scattered flocks, as to sheep having no shepherd. He could assist in planting new churches and do much to develop the educational interests of a new and broad region. He threw himself into his new duties with characteristic zeal. He was the faithful pastor of his own flock, the earnest friend of every missionary within his reach. He was a true bishop, making frequent and long journeys to visit the churches which naturally turned to him for counsel and help. He was accurately informed of the condition of all the Presbyterian congregations in the State. No one knew better than he what was a minister's life in a log-cabin, or what the influence of a pulpit in some rude school-house, or ruder sanctuary. Yet he was one of the first to perceive the importance of providing comfortable and attractive houses of worship, as centres of a permanent power. As early as 1845, he undertook under sanction of his synod, to raise a fund of $10,000, to be used for the purpose of church erection in Missouri. He visited the East, to collect a portion of this fund, and to obtain recruits for Home Missionary service. He returned, bringing with him generous donations, and ten clergymen. He was, indeed, remarkably successful in his lifelong efforts to raise the means for carrying on benevolent enterprises. "Come away," said a student to a friend who called his attention to a "speaking likeness" of Dr. Bullard, at the door of a

photographic artist: "Come away! he'll have five dol lars out of you for a church before you know it."

He was greatly interested in the establishment of Webster College, near St. Louis. The subscription book of that institution was found upon his person, wet and soiled by the rain which beat upon his lifeless body, as, with twenty-nine victims of the disaster of Gasconade bridge, he lay amid the ruins of that wreck which had cost him his life.

He was always a distinguished member of the General Assembly, when he attended its meetings as commissioner. Ardently devoted to every interest of the church in the line of progress; possessed of a knowl edge and experience to which all were compelled to defer; fluent, direct, and clear in debate, he never failed to wield a powerful influence. When he died, every missionary lost a friend, every measure of importance to the Church lost a champion.

Among those whom he was instrumental in introducing to the missionary work of the Church, we will men. tion one only whose character and career are illustrative of some of the phases of the work itself.

When, in 1849, Dr. Bullard visited the Seminary at Auburn to stimulate the interest of its students in the great West, he became acquainted with FREDERICK STARR, Jr., a graduate of that year, who had already distinguished himself by self-denying labor as teacher and missionary in the Sunday-school of the prison. This young man quickly caught the spirit of Dr. Bullard. He was not unlike him in character. Born in Rochester, January 23, 1826, his development was quick

and strong. He made a profession of religion in his tenth year, and was from the first an active and useful Christian. In 1850 he repaired to St. Louis, and under Dr. Bullard's direction began the labors of city missionary. But he was not long content with these. His spirit craved a wider, freer horizon. Hence in March, 1851, he went up the Missouri four hundred and fifty miles to the verge of civilization. Here he found the town of Weston, then numbering about 3,000 inhabitants. Four miles from Weston was Fort Leavenworth, where at that time all the annuities of the Indians in that region were paid. Here, too, was the starting-point from which emigrants to California launched out upon the plains. When Mr. Starr arrived, the whole territory about Weston and the Fort was occupied by a host of these emigrants, waiting for the grass to spring up along the route before them. He constituted himself at once a missionary among these motley hosts. He conciliated their favor both by his frank demeanor, and by his interest in their spirit of adventure. Gifted with strong and well disciplined mechanical tastes, he could assist in mending a wagon or in making a plaything for a child. Having an easy address and a remarkable facility of speech, he could with equal readiness rivet their attention by an anecdote at the camp-fire, or by a sermon delivered from some convenient bench or barrel.

While laboring in this manner with great success, he was urged to accept the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church in Weston, whose pulpit was vacant. He took the call into consideration and carried it to his father, Hon. Frederick Starr, a man whose name is held in dis

tinguished regard by the Church, for advice. It was natural that the father, desiring to have his son near him in his declining years, should hesitate; but the father had too much of the spirit of the son to resist the appeal made to him as the son sprang to his feet after laying open the case and exclaimed, "Father, have you not always taught me from a child, where there was any work to be done which no other man would do, to take hold and do it? I have travelled many thousand miles, and nowhere in the land have I found a place so wicked, so sunk in sin, and where any other minister would be so little likely to incline or dare to go as Weston; and that is my reason for wishing to go there."

He went. He carried with him money to relieve the church at Weston of an embarrassing debt. He aided with his own hands in repairing the church edifice, which was "open, dilapidated, repulsive." He was ordained and installed October 23, 1850. He organized an extensive system of labor among the rich and the poor, among masters and slaves, among civilians and soldiers. He reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come. Positive, fearless, energetic, powerful, he won the love of many, the admiration of all -even of those whose prejudices he aroused. In the summer of 1852, the cholera raged in Weston with great violence. He was unwearied in his active exertions for the relief of the sick and the comfort of the afflicted. The Methodist and Baptist clergymen of the town both fell victims of the pestilence. He alone was left to render such services to the whole population as a minister can render; but his habitual fearlessness and fidelity were conspicuous until the plague was stayed.

A still severer trial tested his nerve and his devotion, when the excitements attending the repeal of the Missouri Compromise prevailed. He was in the very theatre of the Kansas raids—a Northern man of positive character and convictions where no Northern man was safe. He was marked with suspicion. His life was threatened. He was summoned to attend a meeting of the "Platte County Defensive Association," when he knew that the summons meant death. He attended it, and by his courage and address averted the peril which hung over him, though frankly declaring his conviction that slavery was a moral evil, and appealing for authority to such southern men as Jefferson and Benton. But the Border War went on, and soon became so bitter that, yielding to the entreaties of his friends, he returned to New York, despairing of stemming a tide which defied all barriers.

This was in the spring of 1855. He was immediately enlisted in the service of the Auburn Theological Seminary, and of the Western Education Society, and continued therein until 1862, performing what many of his friends regard as the great work of his life.

After a short and successful ministry at Penn Yan, he returned to the West in 1865, to take charge of the North Presbyterian Church in St. Louis, where, after two years of labor remarkable in results, and giving signal promise for the future, he died, January 5; 1868.

We cannot close without reference to another to whom the Church owes much of its solid growth and of its preparation for Reunion,- Dr. THORNTON A. MILLS. He was born in Paris, Ky., September, 1810. He

« PreviousContinue »